The Wintonbury Historical Society
of Bloomfield was founded in 1949 through the effort of Dr. Eugene Bestor and Jack Hoover with the aid of a 1910 bequest left by town resident Levi. E. Latimer. Among the objectives of the Society are: "collection and preservation of historical records; identification, preservation and marking of buildings and locations of historic interest; recording of current history and dissemination of information," per the bylaws of the Wintonbury Historical Society, Inc.
Achievements of the Society include the moving and restoration of the 1796 Old Farm School, the listing of the Old Farm School, the Southwest District School, the Captain Oliver Filley House and the Francis Gillette house on the National Register of Historic Places.